To get a library card:
- Must be a Topsfield resident
- Must be age 6 or older
- Must have proof of residency, such as:
- MA driver’s license
- State-issued ID
- A piece of mail sent to your Topsfield address
Sign up online:
Once you fill out the online registration form above, a librarian will create an account for you and send your login information via e-mail. Your physical card will be mailed to your house, which will serve as proof of address. Please remember that the library is staffed from 9-6 Monday-Friday, so your login information will not be available instantly.
- May be used at any library in the Merrimack Valley Library Consortium (MVLC)
- Use our online catalog to request items to be sent to Topsfield for local pickup.
- Reserve discounted passes to local museums
- Download ebooks, audiobooks, or digital magazines to read on your phone, tablet, or computer.
- Use Freegal to download or stream music for free
- Access online databases to research scholarly articles
- Access HeritageQuest and Ancestry.com for genealogical research
- Just signing up for a card helps support the library, which keeps all these wonderful resources available for you and your neighbors!
Borrowing Rules and Restrictions:
Books, audiobooks, magazines, and CDs may be checked out for 3 weeks.
DVDs may be checked out for one week.
Items may be renewed up to two times, as long as nobody else has requested the item. This may be done on your online account (MUST be done before the due date), or by calling the main desk of the library.
There is no limit on books. There is a limit of 10 DVDs per card, and 15 CDs or audiobooks per card.
The Topsfield Town Library does not charge fines for overdue items, however, if you use your Topsfield card to check out at another MVLC library, you must adhere to their policies. Therefore, if you check out at a library that does charge fines, you will be held responsible for any fines that you accrue.
If you lose or damage a library item, you will need to pay for a replacement. For lost items, you will receive a bill in the mail with the cost of the item. For damaged items, please bring adult items to the main desk and Children’s or Young Adult items to the Children’s Room desk. Bills can be paid via cash or check, either in the library or via mail. We do NOT accept replacements, only the cost of the item.
If the bills on your card amount to over $20, your card will be blocked and your borrowing privileges will be suspended in all MVLC libraries until the lost items are returned or the bills are paid.
For more information, please see our Circulation policy.
Unable to get to the library?
The Topsfield Town Library and the Topsfield Council on Aging work together to offer free delivery of materials to residents unable to visit the Library due to illness, immobility, or age. The library provides the materials and the Council on Aging drivers deliver them to your home.
If you are interested in this service, please call the Reference Desk at 978-887-1528 x2200. You may also fill out a home delivery form and return it to the Reference Desk via mail (1 South Common St., Topsfield, MA 01983) or via email.
Looking for more to borrow?
The Boston Public Library has a very extensive collection of online resources, most of which are available to anyone with a BPL ecard. eCards are available to anyone who lives, resides part-time to attend school, owns property, or works in Massachusetts.